Happy Halloween! This will make your young or old trick or treaters warm and happy before they go out to collect their loot.
We have had first frost so the winter squash, kale, and turnips greens are more flavorful than ever. This is a hearty fall and winter dish the whole family will enjoy.
Sausage and Noodle Stuffed Butternut Squash
2 Medium butternut squash
1 cup broken medium-wide noodles
1 pound sausage meat, I've used breakfast sausage and Italian sausage.
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup water or broth
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and fibers. Place cut side down, in a baking dish, add about one-quarter cup water and bake until just tender, 30 minutes or so.
3. While squash is baking, cook the noodles according to package directions and drain. Brown sausage meat and pour off excess fat. Mix the flour with the sausage, add the water or broth and heat to boiling. Add noodles.
4. Mix the sugar, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Brush the cut surfaces of the squash halves with sausage fat and sprinkle with half the sugar mixture mixture. Pile the sausage mixture into the squash and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture.
5. Return to the oven and bake fifteen minutes.