I'm making tomatoes every way I can think of before they are gone for another year. Stop thinking about the anchovies. You will never know they are there except for the wonderful nutty flavor they give.
Let's take a look and see what else Miz Helen's Country Cottage - Full Plate Thursday has today.
Sicilian Stuffed Tomatoes
4 large tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 anchovies, chopped
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dry white white
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut the tops from the tomatoes and scoop out the centers. Chop the centers and drain.
3. In a large skillet heat two tablespoons of the olive oil, add the onion and brown lightly. Add the tomato pulp, anchovies, capers, parsley, two tablespoons of the bread crumbs, the wine, salt and pepper and mix.
4. Fill the tomatoes with the stuffing. Mix the remaining crumbs with the remaining oil and spread over the top.
5. Bake in a greased baking dish about 20 minutes.