Apple Bread is one of those things that serves lots of needs. Toast in the morning for breakfast, hot out of the oven for dinner, sliced for sandwiches, turkey, tuna salad, or my favorite, a slice of white mild cheese of your choice, avocado slices and a few sprouts. I'm sure you will think of lots of other things.
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour or substitute 3/4 cup of whole wheat for part of the flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening(not oil)
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup unpeeled, finely chopped or ground apple with juice
1/2 cup grated sharp cheese
1/4 cup chopped nut meats, walnut, pecans, almonds, etc.
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
3. Cream the shortening, add the sugar gradually and continue working until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating about one minute after each addition. Add the apples, cheese and nuts and mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients in two portions, mixing only until all the flour is dampened.
5. Turn into a greased 9 x 5x3-inch pan. Push the batter well up into the corners of the pan, leaving the center slightly hollow. Bake one hour.