I love beets, anyway there is to make them, pickled, roasted, raw, I really don't care. This recipe was in Southern Living some time ago, what a nice refreshing salad. When my dear friend David called to tell me he had a few beets ready to eat I knew what I was making.
Simple Beet Salad
2 pounds assorted medium beets
1/3 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Garnish: fresh parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Divide beets between 2 large pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil; drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette, and sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper. Seal foil, making 2 loose packets.
2. Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes until fork tender.
3. Let cool 1 hour in packets, reserving accumulated liquid.
4. Bake walnuts at 400 degrees F. in a single layer in a shallow pan 8-10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
5. Peel beets, and cut into slices or wedges. Arrange beets on a serving platter or in a bowl. Drizzle with reserved liquid, and sprinkle with walnuts. Garnish, if desired.