Remember this show? This recipe is too much fun. I got this last year from Recipezaar, it's recipe number 32216. The fun part is when people ask you what it is, and they will because it really is good. Very English of course. The Brussels sprout haters in your family will never know they are there. When you tell the kids the name of it they will love it.
Two Fat Ladies' Bubble and Squeak
1 pound cold cooked potato
2 ounces meat drippings or lard (I usually use bacon grease)
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 pound Brussels sprout, cooked and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Finely chop the potatoes and crush slightly.
2. In a frying pan, melt half the fat and lightly fry the onion.
3. Mix in the potato and sprouts and season well.
4. Add more dripping or lard.
5. Press the potato/sprout mixture into the hot fat and fry over a moderate heat until browned underneath.
6. Turn the veggie mixture over, add the last of the fat and fry until the other side is browned.