If you are ever in the Chapel Hill, North Carolina area a must restaurant to visit is Mama Dip's. Restaurateur Mildred "Mama Dip" Council makes the best Carrot Cake you will ever put in your mouth.
The cake layers can be prepared ahead and frozen up to a month. Talk about a time saver!
Mama Dip's Carrot Cake
2 cups chopped walnuts
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated carrots
5-cups Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake 12 minutes or until roasted and fragrant.
2. Sift together flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Line bottoms of 3 lightly greased 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper; lightly grease parchment paper.
3. Beat sugar and oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until blended after each addition. Fold in carrots and 1 cup toasted walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
5. Peel parchment paper off cakes cool 1 hour or until completely cool. Now is the time to wrap and freeze or continue.
6. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining 1 cup toasted walnuts onto cake as desired.