Oh My! I haven't made this in years, but still remember how wonderful it is. This is an old (1961) New York Times recipe. Making it tomorrow to have with New York Strips on the grill.
Rice With Chili Peppers and Cheese
1 cup rice
2 cups sour cream
Salt to taste
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
1 six-ounce can peeled green chili peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the rice until just tender, being careful not to overcook, 15-18 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Combine the rice with the sour cream and season with salt. Spread half the mixture in the bottom of a buttered casserole.
4. Sprinkle the rice mixture with the Cheddar cheese and strips of chili pepper. Top with the remaining rice mixture and dot with butter. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, thirty minutes and serve immediately.